2 John 1
1. 1 This letter is from John, the elder.[a] 1 I am writing to the chosen lady and to her children,[b] whom I love in the truth—as does everyone else who knows the truth—
2. because the truth lives in us and will be with us forever.
3. Grace, mercy, and peace, which come from God the Father and from Jesus Christ—the Son of the Father—will continue to be with us who live in truth and love.
Live in the Truth
4. How happy I was to meet some of your children and find them living according to the truth, just as the Father commanded.
5. I am writing to remind you, dear friends,[c] that we should love one another. This is not a new commandment, but one we have had from the beginning.
6. Love means doing what God has commanded us, and he has commanded us to love one another, just as you heard from the beginning.
7. I say this because many deceivers have gone out into the world. They deny that Jesus Christ came[d] in a real body. Such a person is a deceiver and an antichrist.
8. Watch out that you do not lose what we[e] have worked so hard to achieve. Be diligent so that you receive your full reward.
9. Anyone who wanders away from this teaching has no relationship with God. But anyone who remains in the teaching of Christ has a relationship with both the Father and the Son.
10. If anyone comes to your meeting and does not teach the truth about Christ, don’t invite that person into your home or give any kind of encouragement.
11. Anyone who encourages such people becomes a partner in their evil work.
12. I have much more to say to you, but I don’t want to do it with paper and ink. For I hope to visit you soon and talk with you face to face. Then our joy will be complete.
13. Greetings from the children of your sister,[f] chosen by God.
a. 1a: Greek From the elder.
b. 1b: Or the church God has chosen and its members.
c. 5: Greek I urge you, lady.
d. 7: Or will come.
e. 8: Some manuscripts read you.
f. 13: Or from the members of your sister church.