1. And it came to pass at that time, that Judah went down from his brethren, and turned unto a certain Adullamite, whose name was Hirah.
2. And Judah saw there a daughter of a certain Canaanite, whose name was Shua; and he took her, and went in unto her.
3. And she conceived and bore a son, and he called his name Er.
4. And she conceived again and bore a son, and she called his name Onan.
5. And she yet again conceived and bore a son, and called his name Shelah. And he was at Chezib when she bore him.
6. And Judah took a wife for Er his firstborn, whose name was Tamar.
7. And Er, Judah’s firstborn, was wicked in the sight of the Lord; and the Lord slew him.
8. And Judah said unto Onan, “Go in unto thy brother’s wife and marry her, and raise up seed to thy brother.”
9. And Onan knew that the seed should not be his; and it came to pass, when he went in unto his brother’s wife, that he spilled it on the ground, lest he should give seed to his brother.
10. And the thing which he did displeased the Lord; therefore He slew him also.
11. Then said Judah to Tamar his daughter-in-law, “Remain a widow at thy father’s house, until Shelah my son is grown”; for he said, “Lest perhaps he die also, as his brethren did.” And Tamar went and dwelt in her father’s house.
12. And in process of time, the daughter of Shua, Judah’s wife, died; and Judah was comforted, and went up unto his sheepshearers to Timnah, he and his friend Hirah the Adullamite.
13. And it was told Tamar, saying, “Behold, thy father-in-law goeth up to Timnah to shear his sheep.”
14. And she put her widow’s garments off from her and covered herself with a veil, and wrapped herself, and sat in an open place which is on the way to Timnah; for she saw that Shelah was grown, and she was not given unto him as wife.
15. When Judah saw her, he thought her to be a harlot, because she had covered her face.
16. And he turned unto her on the wayside and said, “Come, I pray thee, let me come in unto thee” (for he knew not that she was his daughter-in-law). And she said, “What wilt thou give me, that thou mayest come in unto me?”
17. And he said, “I will send thee a kid from the flock.” And she said, “Wilt thou give me a pledge until thou send it?”
18. And he said, “What pledge shall I give thee?” And she said, “Thy signet and thy bracelets and thy staff that is in thine hand.” And he gave it to her and came in unto her, and she conceived by him.
19. And she arose and went away, and laid aside her veil from her, and put on the garments of her widowhood.
20. And Judah sent the kid by the hand of his friend the Adullamite to receive his pledge from the woman’s hand, but he found her not.
21. Then he asked the men of that place, saying, “Where is the harlot who was openly by the wayside?” And they said, “There was no harlot in this place.”
22. And he returned to Judah and said, “I cannot find her, and also the men of the place said that there was no harlot in this place.”
23. And Judah said, “Let her take them for herself, lest we be shamed; behold, I sent this kid, and thou hast not found her.”
24. And it came to pass about three months after that it was told Judah, saying, “Tamar thy daughter-in-law hath played the harlot; and also, behold, she is with child by whoredom.” And Judah said, “Bring her forth, and let her be burned.”
25. When she was brought forth, she sent to her father-in-law, saying, “By the man whose these are, am I with child.” And she said, “Discern, I pray thee, whose are these — the signet, and bracelets, and staff.”
26. And Judah acknowledged them and said, “She hath been more righteous than I, because I gave her not to Shelah my son.” And he knew her again no more.
27. And it came to pass in the time of her travail that, behold, twins were in her womb.
28. And it came to pass, when she travailed, that the one put out his hand; and the midwife took and bound upon his hand a scarlet thread, saying, “This came out first.”
29. And it came to pass as he drew back his hand that, behold, his brother came out; and she said, “How hast thou broken forth? This breach be upon thee.” Therefore his name was called Perez [that is, A breach].
30. And afterward came out his brother who had the scarlet thread upon his hand, and his name was called Zerah.