- 1 Chronicles 1
- 1 Chronicles 2
- 1 Chronicles 3
- 1 Chronicles 4
- 1 Chronicles 5
- 1 Chronicles 6
- 1 Chronicles 7
- 1 Chronicles 8
- 1 Chronicles 9
- 1 Chronicles 10
- 1 Chronicles 11
- 1 Chronicles 12
- 1 Chronicles 13
- 1 Chronicles 14
- 1 Chronicles 15
- 1 Chronicles 16
- 1 Chronicles 17
- 1 Chronicles 18
- 1 Chronicles 19
- 1 Chronicles 20
- 1 Chronicles 21
- 1 Chronicles 22
- 1 Chronicles 23
- 1 Chronicles 24
- 1 Chronicles 25
- 1 Chronicles 26
- 1 Chronicles 27
- 1 Chronicles 28
- 1 Chronicles 29
1 Chronicles 1
From Adam to Noah’s Sons
1. The descendants of Adam were Seth, Enosh,
2. Kenan, Mahalalel, Jared,
3. Enoch, Methuselah, Lamech,
4. and Noah. 4 The sons of Noah were[a] Shem, Ham, and Japheth.
Descendants of Japheth
5. The descendants of Japheth were Gomer, Magog, Madai, Javan, Tubal, Meshech, and Tiras.
6. The descendants of Gomer were Ashkenaz, Riphath,[b] and Togarmah.
7. The descendants of Javan were Elishah, Tarshish, Kittim, and Rodanim.
Descendants of Ham
8. The descendants of Ham were Cush, Mizraim,[c] Put, and Canaan.
9. The descendants of Cush were Seba, Havilah, Sabtah, Raamah, and Sabteca. The descendants of Raamah were Sheba and Dedan.
10. Cush was also the ancestor of Nimrod, who was the first heroic warrior on earth.
11. Mizraim was the ancestor of the Ludites, Anamites, Lehabites, Naphtuhites,
12. Pathrusites, Casluhites, and the Caphtorites, from whom the Philistines came.[d]
13. Canaan’s oldest son was Sidon, the ancestor of the Sidonians. Canaan was also the ancestor of the Hittites,[e]
14. Jebusites, Amorites, Girgashites,
15. Hivites, Arkites, Sinites,
16. Arvadites, Zemarites, and Hamathites.
Descendants of Shem
17. The descendants of Shem were Elam, Asshur, Arphaxad, Lud, and Aram. 17 The descendants of Aram were[f] Uz, Hul, Gether, and Mash.[g]
18. Arphaxad was the father of Shelah. 18 Shelah was the father of Eber.
19. Eber had two sons. The first was named Peleg (which means “division”), for during his lifetime the people of the world were divided into different language groups. His brother’s name was Joktan.
20. Joktan was the ancestor of Almodad, Sheleph, Hazarmaveth, Jerah,
21. Hadoram, Uzal, Diklah,
22. Obal,[h] Abimael, Sheba,
23. Ophir, Havilah, and Jobab. All these were descendants of Joktan.
24. So this is the family line descended from Shem: Arphaxad, Shelah,[i]
25. Eber, Peleg, Reu,
26. Serug, Nahor, Terah,
27. and Abram, later known as Abraham.
Descendants of Abraham
28. The sons of Abraham were Isaac and Ishmael.
29. These are their genealogical records: 29 The sons of Ishmael were Nebaioth (the oldest), Kedar, Adbeel, Mibsam,
30. Mishma, Dumah, Massa, Hadad, Tema,
31. Jetur, Naphish, and Kedemah. These were the sons of Ishmael.
32. The sons of Keturah, Abraham’s concubine, were Zimran, Jokshan, Medan, Midian, Ishbak, and Shuah. 32 The sons of Jokshan were Sheba and Dedan.
33. The sons of Midian were Ephah, Epher, Hanoch, Abida, and Eldaah. 33 All these were descendants of Abraham through his concubine Keturah.
Descendants of Isaac
34. Abraham was the father of Isaac. The sons of Isaac were Esau and Israel.[j]
Descendants of Esau
35. The sons of Esau were Eliphaz, Reuel, Jeush, Jalam, and Korah.
36. The descendants of Eliphaz were Teman, Omar, Zepho,[k] Gatam, Kenaz, and Amalek, who was born to Timna.[l]
37. The descendants of Reuel were Nahath, Zerah, Shammah, and Mizzah.
Original Peoples of Edom
38. The descendants of Seir were Lotan, Shobal, Zibeon, Anah, Dishon, Ezer, and Dishan.
39. The descendants of Lotan were Hori and Hemam.[m] Lotan’s sister was named Timna.
40. The descendants of Shobal were Alvan,[n] Manahath, Ebal, Shepho,[o] and Onam. 40 The descendants of Zibeon were Aiah and Anah.
41. The son of Anah was Dishon. 41 The descendants of Dishon were Hemdan,[p] Eshban, Ithran, and Keran.
42. The descendants of Ezer were Bilhan, Zaavan, and Akan.[q] 42 The descendants of Dishan[r] were Uz and Aran.
Rulers of Edom
43. These are the kings who ruled in the land of Edom before any king ruled over the Israelites[s]: 43 Bela son of Beor, who ruled from his city of Dinhabah.
44. When Bela died, Jobab son of Zerah from Bozrah became king in his place.
45. When Jobab died, Husham from the land of the Temanites became king in his place.
46. When Husham died, Hadad son of Bedad became king in his place and ruled from the city of Avith. He was the one who destroyed the Midianite army in the land of Moab.
47. When Hadad died, Samlah from the city of Masrekah became king in his place.
48. When Samlah died, Shaul from the city of Rehoboth-on-the-River became king in his place.
49. When Shaul died, Baal-hanan son of Acbor became king in his place.
50. When Baal-hanan died, Hadad became king in his place and ruled from the city of Pau.[t] His wife was Mehetabel, the daughter of Matred and granddaughter of Me-zahab.
51. Then Hadad died. 51 The clan leaders of Edom were Timna, Alvah,[u] Jetheth,
52. Oholibamah, Elah, Pinon,
53. Kenaz, Teman, Mibzar,
54. Magdiel, and Iram. These are the clan leaders of Edom.
a. 1:4: As in Greek version (see also Gen 5:3-32); Hebrew lacks The sons of Noah were.
b. 1:6: As in some Hebrew manuscripts and Greek version (see also Gen 10:3); most Hebrew manuscripts read Diphath.
c. 1:8: Or Egypt; also in 1:11.
d. 1:12: Hebrew Casluhites, from whom the Philistines came, Caphtorites. See Jer 47:4; Amos 9:7.
e. 1:13: Hebrew ancestor of Heth.
f. 1:17a: As in one Hebrew manuscript and some Greek manuscripts (see also Gen 10:23); most Hebrew manuscripts lack The descendants of Aram were.
g. 1:17b: As in parallel text at Gen 10:23; Hebrew reads and Meshech.
h. 1:22: As in some Hebrew manuscripts and Syriac version (see also Gen 10:28); most Hebrew manuscripts read Ebal.
i. 1:24: Some Greek manuscripts read Arphaxad, Cainan, Shelah. See notes on Gen 10:24; 11:12-13.
j. 1:34: Israel is the name that God gave to Jacob.
k. 1:36a: As in many Hebrew manuscripts and a few Greek manuscripts (see also Gen 36:11); most Hebrew manuscripts read Zephi.
l. 1:36b: As in some Greek manuscripts (see also Gen 36:12); Hebrew reads Kenaz, Timna, and Amalek.
m. 1:39: As in parallel text at Gen 36:22; Hebrew reads and Homam.
n. 1:40a: As in many Hebrew manuscripts and a few Greek manuscripts (see also Gen 36:23); most Hebrew manuscripts read Alian.
o. 1:40b: As in some Hebrew manuscripts (see also Gen 36:23); most Hebrew manuscripts read Shephi.
p. 1:41: As in many Hebrew manuscripts and some Greek manuscripts (see also Gen 36:26); most Hebrew manuscripts read Hamran.
q. 1:42a: As in many Hebrew and Greek manuscripts (see also Gen 36:27); most Hebrew manuscripts read Jaakan.
r. 1:42b: Hebrew Dishon; compare 1:38 and parallel text at Gen 36:28.
s. 1:43: Or before an Israelite king ruled over them.
t. 1:50: As in many Hebrew manuscripts, some Greek manuscripts, Syriac version, and Latin Vulgate (see also Gen 36:39); most Hebrew manuscripts read Pai.
u. 1:51: As in an alternate reading of the Masoretic Text (see also Gen 36:40); the other alternate reads Aliah.